Oh. My. Goodness.
There are SO many planner options these days. How to choose?
In my opinion, it comes down to function. No one wants to haul around a big book if it’s full of stuff that isn’t helping you. For example, I don’t count how many glasses of water I drink a day so that page real estate is best suited for a to-do section in my world. But you still want pretty, right? Or do you? Thankfully, there’s seemingly a million options but before you get to pinning (speaking of, here’s my board of pretty planners),
let’s think about what you need from your new best accountability friend:
Ask yourself some questions about what you are going to use it for? What does it HAVE to have within its pages to help you function better? If it doesn’t have it, strike that planner from you list. Does it need:
- Time slots?
- Meal planning?
- To do list?
- Doodle area?
- Blank pages for notes?
- Is it strictly business or personal too?
Let’s talk about size. Are you going to carry this with you everywhere or is this something you’ll leave at home? Does it need to fit in your purse?
- How big should it be?
- Does it need to be expandable?
- How durable is the cover?
- Do you prefer spirals or ring binders?
What do you want it to look like?
- Customizable with personal photos or text?
What’s your budget for a planner?
- Are there add-on accessories that you’ll need that will add to the cost?
- Can you buy your section a la carte?
- Can you download pages to add to it?
How accessible is it? Some of the customizable planners take WEEKS to arrive. Do you want something you can easily run to the local office store for add-on pages or can you wait patiently to order online?
Ask for recommendations from friends – but remember, they may have strong opinions!
- Ask your friends what they like about their planners AND what they don’t.
- See if you can copy a few pages (or download sample pages) to try it for a week.
- What’s right for then, may not be right for you!
Search online for popular planners:
- Office Supply Stores
- Paper and stationary stores
What’s your favorite planner? Leave it in the comments below!