Happy Anniversary to us!
You hear it all the time. People talk about their years of “wedded bliss,” but — come on. We all know that this “bliss” they refer to is not all truffles and roses. In fact, the roses stopped coming in our house years ago — but it doesn’t matter to me that practicality has won out over fresh flowers because he keeps the wine rack stocked for me all year long. I’m okay with that trade off. I love that man, even through his horrible snoring, his short temper, and his messiness. He’s kind hearted, loyal, ridiculously smart, dry witted, and respects that the remote control in the bedroom is mine. All mine.
It’s our lucky 13th year. And in those 13 years together we’ve:
- Danced on Bourbon Street
- Stood on a volcano
- Rode in a dog sled on top of a glacier
- Bought a house
- Built a house (almost)
- Lost 3 of our fur family
- Buried 3 parents, a brother, an uncle
- Adopted 2 puggies -at the same time
- Had a baby
- Spent 2 extended stays in the hospital (3 if you count the Princess Cupcake’s arrival)
- Had one doggie ICU extended stay for puggie
- Watched the Twin Towers fall
- Witnessed Olympic records be shattered
- Put our feet in the Ocean on two coasts
- Visited the happiest place on earth
- Touched the Stanley Cup
- Owned 7 cars
- Walked the red carpet
- Stood together on 15 different states
- Sat in 3 SEC stadiums and 1 Big 10
- Got wet at Niagara Falls
- Met countless celebrities
- Experienced 2 hurricanes and 1 earthquake
- Watched the sun rise over the Rocky Mountains
- Had coffee at the first Starbucks
- Played catch on Angels field
- And so much more…
We’ve laughed, cried, prayed, cheered, fought, made huge decisions and forgot to do lots of things. But at the end of the day, he’s the man I love to wake up next to (as long as he doesn’t talk too much in the morning) and I am lucky to have had 13 years of that privilege.
I don’t know what the next year will bring, but I’m fairly certain I can continue to count on his uncanny sense to detect the moment any candy has crossed the threshold of our door, that his golf game will improve even though he says it hasn’t, that the Princess Cupcake will persuade him to do things I never could, and he will only sync his iPhone once. And that I will be the Piglet to his Pooh.
Lucky 13 indeed.