Princess Cupcake Recipe Approved – Rainbow Rice Krispies Treats
What you need:
6 cups of rice krispies cereal
3 tablespoons of butter
1 bag of large marshmallows
Food coloring – I used gel colors – Betty Crocker and Duff
Spray butter stuff to grease the pan
8 x 8 baking pan
Okay, super simple to do – just budget for 6 times as long to make as traditional rice krispies treats. Ugh.
- Melt ½ a tablespoon in a pan over medium to low heat.
- Drop in 7 marshmallows and melt them
- Take off the heat and squeeze in your food coloring and stir, stir, stir
- Mix in 1 cup of rice krispies cereal
- Press the marshmallow rice krispies goodness into the bottom of your greased baking pan
- Repeat until you have completed all your colors
I seriously thought this was a pain in the you know where by the time I was on orange (my second color). But my little helper bee was having a great time so we powered on rather than what I was tempted to do — have two colored rice krispies treats. 🙂 It is time consuming, but when we were done and I took at look at the finished pile of delectable crunchy rainbow rice krispies, all the impatience I felt earlier melted completely away. And given the Princess’ current love of rainbows, this was a homerun snack that she couldn’t wait to take to the teachers and in her lunchbox.
Here’s what I learned:
- I actually counted out the marshmallows to make sure that I had enough for the six layers. But I really rather prefer a more marshmallowy treat. I’d use a bag and a half next time.
- I think I’ve always made these (like the 3 other times I’ve ever made them) with a whole box of rice krispies cereal. Turns out the ratio is ½ a box of rice krispies to one bag of marshmallows. Helps to read the directions.
- I started this with a 13×9 pan like the recipe on the box says – if you are dividing this into 6 colors, I don’t think you can spread it to cover the whole bottom of the pan. I couldn’t. Definitely use a smaller pan. I thought 8×8 worked great.
I mean really, who could eat one of these and NOT feel good?
I smile just seeing them on my counter.