I went cold turkey no caffeine when I got pregnant with the Princess Cupcake, and never went back. But don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t stop me from loving coffee, Starbucks and all that they offer.
My favorite time of year is the advent of fall and winter “red cup” beverages: egg nog latte, pumpkin spice latte… and my current love: the caramel apple spice.
Love the warm appley goodness, but I’m not a big fan of the price. And it really hacks me off when I order a Starbucks caramel apple spice and it comes lukewarm. I’ve been known to circle back through the drive-thru and ask them to exchange my drink for a hotter version. I mean, if I’m going to spend that much on a drink, I don’t want one that’s been sitting on the counter for 20 minutes. The last time I returned it, they said, “Oh, okay. We have to warm the apple juice to kid’s temp.”
Don’t get me started on all the ways why I think that’s bad customer service. But it also got me thinking.
Apple juice? Well dang, if that’s all it is… I can make that at home and feed my addiction for pennies compared to the $4 version.
So I did. It’s a dead ringer for the Starbucks version and only 4 ingredients:
Here’s what you need:
- Apple juice (between $1.25 and $2 at WalMart for the whole bottle!)
- Caramel, like for sundaes (this was left over from a dessert kit)
- Ground cinnamon (in spice cabinet)
- Whipped Cream (in fridge)
Here’s what you do:
- Fill your cup (I use an extra large coffee cup) with apple juice
- Sprinkle in a couple hearty dashes of cinnamon
- Stir in a heaping teaspoon of caramel
- Microwave for 2 minutes. I guess you could heat it on the stove instead if you have time to kill. Watch to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
- Stir your drink and put whipped cream on top. If you want to be all fancy like Starbucks, drizzle more caramel on the top of your whipped cream.