The Cupcake and I are ROAD WARRIORS, so we really enjoy audiobooks together. (And, she doesn’t like reading chapter books.) Here’s a list of our favorite series and authors (yes, I’ve left a few off that we didn’t care for) – most of which we checked out from the Frisco library, although we do now have an Audible subscription so I also download them to our phone and tablet apps, and she’s able to listen to them in her room or on the go. It picks up wherever it was last listened to!
Keep in mind, we started this list over the past year. She’s nine now, and I would feel comfortable recommending to 7 – 10 years olds for sure. Of course, use your own judgment on what is appropriate for your own kids. Many of the series below have additional books we haven’t listened to yet – but they’re on our list (alphabetically by title) and links to the descriptions on the author’s websites.
The 39 Clues series by various authors
- The Maze of Bones (The 39 Clues #1) Rick Riordan
- One False Note (The 39 Clues #2) Gordon Korman
- The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues #3) Peter Lerangis
- Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues #4) Jude Watson
- The Black Circle (The 39 Clues #5) Patrick Carman
- In Too Deep (The 39 Clues #6) Jude Watson
- The Viper’s Nest (The 39 Clues #7) Peter Lerangis
- The Emperor’s Code (The 39 Clues #8) Gordon Korman
- Storm Warning (The 39 Clues #9) Linda Sue Park
- Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues #10) Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Finishing School series by Gail Carriger
This one is definitely for older kids. We listened to the first one and it was REALLY good, but I had to explain what “Finishing School” meant. We stopped after the first one, but I continued the series in book form to preview first.
- Etiquette & Espionage
The Fudge series by Judy Blume
Lots of giggles with these. There are more in this series. Visit the website for additional details.
- Double Fudge
- Super Fudge
The Harry Potter series by J K Rowling
#1 FAVORITES. There are obviously more in this series, but because they get progressively darker, we haven’t gone beyond the Goblet of Fire. Please use your own discretion.
- Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
A Hero’s Guide series by Christopher Healy
- A Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
- A Hero’s Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
- A Hero’s Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
Hotel for Dogs by Lois Duncan
Not a series, but we really enjoyed it so including it anyway. There’s a second movie so I’m crossing fingers there will also be a second audiobook.
The Land of Stories series by author Chris Colfer
I have to add a note here. You know Chris Colfer from Glee, but he is a truly gifted storyteller. We had the awesome experience to go to an author event with him at the Dallas Museum of Art and love him even more. Other than Harry Potter, these are hands down our favorites.
- The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories #1)
- The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories #2)
- A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories #3)
- Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories #4)
- An Author’s Odyssey (The Land of Stories #5)
- Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories #6)
Minecraft: The Island (Narrated by Jack Black)
The first official Minecraft novel. There is another version of this with a different narrator. Get the Jack Black version! There are also other Minecraft storybooks, although not in this particular series (and presumably not “official”) — however, this book’s ending leaves the door open for future stories.
The Spy School series by author Stuart Gibbs
- Spy Ski School
- Evil Spy School
- (There are more)
The Theodore Boone series by author John Grisham
- Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer
- Theodore Boone: The Abduction
- Theodore Boone: The Accused
- Theodore Boone: The Activist
- Theodore Boone: The Fugitive
- Theodore Boone: The Scandal
The Whatever After series by author Sarah Mlynowski
- Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
- If the Shoe Fits (Whatever After, #2)
- Sink or Swim (Whatever After, #3)
- Dream On (Whatever After, #4)
- Bad hair day (Whatever After #5)
- (There are more)